Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Week 1: Preston England MTC - 10/23/13

Elder Ridd (right), with his companions, Elder Abel (left) and Elder Holm (middle)
Hallo Familie,
Sounds like you are all doing well besides the electrical issues with my room. Woops - my bad. And sounds like you got it fixed so that's good!

The MTC is pretty cool. We only have 22 missionaries in the whole MTC here at the moment, and 6 of them are sisters. I think that we get 13 more missionaries next week - 8 sisters and 6 elders, and we lose around the same amount. (The missionaries who are leaving are going to other English-speaking missions, such as Leeds, Manchester, Scotland, and such). All of the missionaries here going to Germany are from the States. I hear we get all the native speakers in the upcoming week. Every missionary here from the States is from Utah except for Elder Prows and me. But there are some missionaries here that are not going to Germany who are from some pretty cool places. We have 4 from France, 1 from Albania (he's really cool) and 1 sister from Germany (she is going to Scotland English-speaking ) as well as 1 from Brazil. So we do have a decent amount of diversity amongst us. Anyways, so far this last week was the longest week of my life. The first 3 days literally felt like months, but now that we are kind of getting into the swing of things, it is going at a pretty good pace.


Typical days consist of 6:30am wakeup  time, getting ready and breakfast at 7:00. Then we usually have personal study from 7:30-8:30'ish. Then we have classes till around 12 - a mix of German and Gospel study. At 12 we go to lunch, then at around 12:30 we go back to German and Gospel study till around 5, when we eat dinner. After dinner we have been teaching 'pseudo' investigators in German (role playing).  I can understand the German quite well. We have taught 3 lessons to two different (fake) investigators already in German, and they have to be 20-30 minutes so we are doing quite well.

So that schedule is basically what we do every day except for Sundays and Wednesdays. Sunday we had meetings with the whole MTC almost the whole day, and I was asked to give a talk on the Atonement. And I thought that my farewell talk would be the last one for at least a few weeks....guess I was wrong. Haha! But yeah that basically describes our Sundays. Our Wednesdays are awesome because they are P-days. So today we woke up at 6:30am still, got ready and ate breakfast, and then we went to the Preston Temple. The temple here is really cool - I like it even better than the Houston temple!  It is like a 2 minute walk away from the MTC.  I wish I had taken some pictures of it but I will send some next week. After that we had the opportunity to go into town and go shopping at a store called ASDA, which is basically a Walmart. While my group was there, they actually had some weird evacuation and we had to leave all of the stuff we were buying inside for like 10 minutes. I am still not quite sure what happened, but they told us to evacuate. I'm wondering if it is a regular thing or if it was just our luck.  I didn't buy too many things, just some pretty sweet slippers. The inside feels like silk so it's a win. Whenever we are getting driven anywhere here it is the weirdest thing because we are on the left side of the road so I keep thinking that we are going to die or something. It must be so hard to learn how to drive here if you have driven in the US. The roundabouts in the US are hard enough - imagine going around that baby the opposite way. Another cool thing about tonight is a member of the 70 is coming to speak to us in a devotional, so that's pretty cool. Besides that, that is all I have really done today.

I only have 3 people in my room - my companions and me - so it is super nice. Usually you have 6 in one room, but we lucked out.  I have extra room to store all my stuff. My companions are really cool too, so that is a plus.  I have 3 in my companionship - Elder Abel, Elder Holm and me.  They are both from Utah and are probably some of the coolest elders here, so I definitely lucked out. 


We finally are starting to get workout days, so I have been running and lifting in their limited lifting facility (No free weights, just a few machines) But it has been nice running here as the weather is super cool. 

The food here is really good. So no complaints there!

But that is basically what is going on here so far. Just going with the flow and wishing I already had enough German so I can get to the field already. Not that the MTC is bad, I just would like to start with the rest of my mission. Love you guys!
Mit Liebe,
Elder Ridd

The Preston MTC

No comments: