Monday, December 9, 2013

Getting Settled - 12/9/13

Christmas Market 
Hey Mama and Pops!

I am doing well! This week has been pretty good and I am getting into the swing of things. It does seem like it went pretty fast, doesn't it? That's pretty cool that time seems to speed up when serving the Lord. My companion says that it just goes faster and faster as the weeks progress. He says he feels like he just got out here yesterday and he has been here for like 15 months. That's nuts. But it is way cool here! Got to love the new culture and all the cool differences.

Sadly, I did not get to watch the Christmas Devotional! So cool about Uncle Randy though! 
(Click the following link to watch 2013 Christmas Devotional).

We did get to teach a few families. We have 2 main investigators, which include a lady named S and her family, and another lady, P. S is from Germany and her husband is less active. They have 3 kids and 2 are of baptism age but none are baptized yet. We hope that we can reactivate the husband and baptize the other 3. They seemed way receptive in the last lesson we had and we have a return appointment planned for this coming Sunday.

Our investigator, P, is soooo cool. She is from England so we teach her in English! Best deal. But she is the coolest person. She came to church for the first time yesterday and then we called her and asked about it and she wanted to know what she had to do to be baptized. We read through the baptismal questions and she thought about them deeply. When we first taught her, she was really not wanting to get baptized, but she is really progressing.

Church was good! We had P there, and Sister Smith (a Sister Missionary from Tübingen) and I, and P's member friend taught her in the second hour. It was way cool and went really well. Our member lunch appointment fell through yesterday, so we ended up eating lunch on our own.  

Okay, I will be looking out for a package! We actually are taking a bus to Stuttgart on Wednesday for Christmas Zone Conference, and that is where the packages will be. So I will let you know this next week when I get them! But sounds good, I don't know if I will wait to open them but I will try, haha.

Parker told me about the study abroad! That is so sweet. Man, look at our family going all over the world.

It isn't too bad here. I thought it would be a lot colder. I bought a coat last P-day and that's really it. It is a pretty nice coat and I really love it. I might need to pick up some boots today, and I think I am getting a haircut as well. My apartment is pretty warm, as we have nice heaters on the walls that are way different than in America. I don't even know how I would describe them. (Note from Mom - I believe they're radiators). 

The satchel is working well. There is actually another missionary in my district with the same satchel which is pretty cool.

I eat really well! And I have had a good amount of dinner appointments, maybe 2-3 times a week. Which isn't too bad! The peanut butter is so expensive here and they have this thing called Quark. It is kind of like Greek yogurt, with no flavor and is really hard to eat. But on the bright side... 3x the protein. We have been mixing it with regular yogurt and making our own Greek yogurt. It tastes way good.

Well this week was sweet. We basically have been working with a ton of members and getting referrals like the missionaries did from you. It has been really cool, but we do not have too many people we are teaching right now, as mainly it is women referrals we are getting. It is hard for the Elders to teach women because we need another man - or 2 other women - present, so we have to give a lot of our investigators to the sister missionaries because they can teach them really easily. I already told you about the two investigators that are doing awesome, so I will tell you a little about what else we did this week. 

We were able to go to a Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) and look around with a member. It was in Naguld, which is a pretty sweet little town in between two little mountains. It was so cool looking at all the different things they had in the markets and seeing all the Germans running around. We walked around and saw all the cool things they were selling and the member bought us some Rotwurst (kind of like a sausage). It was way good.  In Tübingen they had a huge chocolate market, and we got to go around there as well and see it all. There was chocolate everywhere. The three things Germans love are Beer, Bread, and Chocolate. Literally, there were thousands of people at the Chocolate Festival and it was really cool to see. I don't have too many photos of it, but I do have a few.

Anyways, no time but I will send more later. Love you, Mama, you are awesome. Thanks for all you do. Love you so much, Dad, and you are an awesome example to us all. 

Mit Liebe,
Elder Ridd


Elder Ridd's missionary apartment - looks like a nice view!


Look at all these veggies! Pretty healthy fare!


No comments: