Monday, October 6, 2014

"We Thank Thee, O God, for a Prophet" - 10/6/14


On top of the world - Hohenwiel
Hohenwiel
Elders & Sisters
Hohenwiel
Guten Morgen meine Mutter!
I am doing great this week. And yeah, General Conference was amazing! I saw all of the sessions except for Sunday afternoon. I am not sure when or if I will get to see that one. I remember that in Tübingen I didn't get to see it, but I think that we might watch it here in the ward one day. I liked all of the talks tons. I really liked the talk by Elder Jörg Klebingat – it was really good. (Click here to watch/listen to his talk). I loved President Uchtdorf, as usual, and of course you have to love Elder Holland. He is such an amazing speaker. I also enjoyed Elder D. Todd Christofferson's talk a lot!

We watched Conference from our ward building. A lot of the ward members came, but there were also a lot that just watched at home. They broadcast it to a ton of church buildings. A 94-year old member in the ward, Schwester S, made us lunch. She is awesome! And yeah, it was really cool to think that you were also listening to the talks at the same time for some of the sessions. I listened to it in English.

We taught a decent amount this week. Not a ton; we were pretty busy on the schedule. Schwester B is the best new convert I have ever seen. She was at every conference session, she signed up to fast extra on a ward fasting list for a sick member, and she just does everything. She is way in with the ward and is just so awesome. Her testimony is so strong for such a new member! To think that she ever wasn’t a member!

R is also doing well. We met with him a few times this last week and he is still preparing for baptism. The sad thing though is that though he said he would come to General Conference, he wasn’t there. I couldn’t reach him over the phone. So that was sad, but still he is doing really good and taking the lessons!

And on A, he was in Freiburg for half of the week so we couldn’t set up an appointment -because he was free when we were busy, and we were free when he was gone, haha. So this week we will be meeting again. We taught Herr K as well. We had been praying that he would find a job and then he got 3 job offers. Pretty cool!

(In response to Mom’s question regarding soft pretzels...)  
There are tons of pretzels here. Literally you can buy them at every store. You would love it! A lot of people eat them with mustard, a lot of people don’t, haha. Pretzels are called Bretzel here!
Hohenwiel
Hohenwiel - District Photo
And - good questions. 2 transfers ago there were more 2-man apartments than 4- man, but there have been tons of new missionaries coming in that I think it is now more 4-man than 2-man. 

They haven’t really talked about the Meet the Mormons movie here, but I have heard of it on LDS.org. We have Zone Conference coming up on Wednesday in Winterthur, Switzerland, so I guess President Kohler might mention something about it. That is pretty interesting!

Elder W is doing really well. He is hilarious. The other two elders are also doing excellent. We all still get along great. We have all started buying food separately, so I have been getting to eat way healthy again - I am excited about that. I am eating mostly rice, chicken, broccoli, spinach, tuna and carrots. I am way happy about that. 

We had a ton of eating appointments this last week though so that has also been awesome. We were by the J family on Friday and the other elders brought JD, their new convert. We had a family home evening that was a BLAST. We ate Filipino food, had a spiritual thought, played games and sang karaoke, haha.

Then we were over at the S family again and it was also a ton of fun. We ate Späetzle and meat there along with a ton of other food. Afterwards we played football, or soccer, and that is always awesome. They have like 14 people in their family so that was like amazing. I am actually getting pretty good at soccer now, so that is also a plus!

I have been reading in the Old Testament; I am in Judges right now. I am also reading the Book of Mormon in German, which is also great. And something cool that I liked at Conference was how much that they stressed prophets. My testimony about living prophets strengthened a ton during this conference! General Conference was truly great; I just liked the whole thing. 

P-day last week was great at Hohenwiel. It's in Singen and takes around 45 minutes to get there. I'm sending some pics. Today is shopping and emails, and I'm getting a haircut. 

I love you tons! You the best! Thanks for all you do for me! 
Love,
Elder Ridd
Hohenwiel
A tunnel in Hohenwiel
Elders Ridd & Wilkins
Elder Ridd with the Familie J

No comments: