Monday, September 14, 2015

Auf Wiedersehen, Alpine German-Speaking Mission! 9/14/15


We stopped in Liechtenstein for lunch last week, on the way to our exchanges in
Austria & Switzerland
Liechtenstein
Hey Mom and Dad!

Well, it was the weirdest thing for me to type the subject of this email, ha ("Last real week on a mission"). It’s weird to think that it’s already the last week and that I’ve been to Church for my last time as a real missionary already. This week will fly by and I will see you both on Friday! That sounds pretty unbelievable. Haha – it’ll be cool!

This week was a good one. On Monday, we had district meeting and interviews with President, which took a big chunk out of our Pday. It was good though. I talked with President about many different things. It was the first time that he mentioned my going home soon. It’ll be interesting because I have another interview with him this week. After we did all the training, we did emails and stuff, so that was our Pday last week.

We had zone training with the Munich zone on Tuesday. The big topics were extending commitments and working with members. It was pretty weird, because it was my last zone training, so they had me give my “dying testimony.” I was the only one heading home, so yeah – it was just me, haha. It went well; it’s strange to be the oldest one out. Perspective changes a lot. I remember watching people give their dying testimonies as I was a golden. Giving it is a lot different! After we had zone training, Elder Rozan and I headed off on our last road trip. We made our way to Dornbirn, Austria to spend the night, on our way to Bonstetten, Switzerland to exchange with the Zone Leaders of the St. Gallen zone. On the way there, we stopped in Liechtenstein and ate the lunch that we brought with us. It was pretty sweet. No worries, Mom – I took some pics.

When we woke up on Wednesday, we did some studies and then made the trip to Zurich. The Zone Leaders there are Elder Apel and Elder Jakobi, two Germans. They are both way funny and great missionaries. I worked with Elder Apel; we had tons of fun and did some good work. We had around 3 lessons and found some really cool people on the street as well. It was a pretty good exchange to end the mission with.

On Thursday, we finished our exchange with some studies and then made the trip back to good old Munich. We had ward missionary meeting with Brother Miller and the sisters, which also went well, and afterwards we met with K. He is doing pretty good; he is the guy who needs a little push so that he starts doing stuff, so we read (Scriptures) with him and stressed the importance of reading alone. He committed to doing it, so I guess we’ll see if he read alone! We also did some finding on Thursday.

I went to the Munich office on Friday, to deregister from living here. That usually takes forever because of the line, but we got through fairly quickly, haha – it took 2 hours, so that wasn’t too bad. After, we came back from the office, had a little bit of studies, ate lunch, and then headed on the streets. We found a lot of people on Friday, which was cool. We also had an eating appointment with the R family. It was a fun time for sure; we ate something called Brotzeit. The literal translation is “bread time,” but basically what it is, is that you make your own sandwich with cheese, butter and meat. It was for sure a good eating appointment!

On Saturday we had transfer calls, so everyone found out what’s going on with them. Elder Rozan and I did our studies, ate and then went and worked a lot on the streets again and were able to find a lot of people. We went by on C again, but sadly, he wasn’t there. We aren’t sure why, but I wasn’t able to say goodbye to him. But I’ve got some contact info, so that’s good After, we headed on the street again and found more.

Sunday was good. We had two people at church – a Russian guy that Elder Rozan is able to talk to, as well as Frau X, a mom of a member. She isn’t a member, but she comes occasionally. She thinks she is too old to be baptized, haha. But we can change that! It was a good Sunday. I bore my testimony in Sacrament meeting. There were some visitors, which was cool, and I found out that one of them knows Alex Snelson from his mission. Alex actually trained him. I can’t remember his name, but he’s blonde, 23 and from California and said he still had some contact with Alex. Small world! After church we met with F, headed to do some dooring, and had some good success. We had two lessons with people we found by dooring, so that was also good. And yeah, that was basically the week!

Now this last week will fly - Pday today, Tuesday is district meeting and an eating appointment. On Wednesday we pick up the Goldens and do their training, and Thursday is transfer day where I am basically done, and get interviewed again with the other “dying” missionaries. Then there you both are on Friday. Crazy! It will be a cool week, a pretty unreal one, but cool! I’m excited to see you both. I hope you have a great time in Italy and I’ll see you Friday!

My mission was the best decision of my life, for sure. I've grown so much and have learned so many different things that will help me forever. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be a missionary, and I will miss it a ton. I've already seen many of the blessings from serving a mission. 

Thanks for all the support you’ve given me on the mission and the wonderful examples both of you are to us! You are the best, and I’ll see you on Friday!


Love, 
Elder Ridd

No comments: